» Ship & Cargo Handling
Course Title: ADVANCED TRAINING FOR OIL TANKER CARGO OPERATION
|Duration:||6 Days (36 hours)|
ACCREDITED BY: DEPARTMENT OF SHIPPING, BANGLADESH
This course provides training for Masters, chief engineer officers, chief mates, second engineer officers and any person with immediate responsibility for loading, unloading care in transit, handling of cargo, tank cleaning or other cargo related operations on oil tankers. The course takes full account of Section A-V/1-1 paragraph 3 of the STCW Code.
COURSE AIMS & OBJECTIVES:
This course provides training for Masters, Chief Engineers, Officers and any person with immediate responsibility for the loading, discharging and care in transmit or handling of cargo. It comprises a specialized training programme appropriate to their duties, including chemical tanker safety pollution prevention, operational practice and obligations under applicable laws and regulations. The course is as per section A-v/ l of the STCW code adopted by the international convention on standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping for seafarers 1978, As amended in 1995. The candidates who has successfully completed the course should be able to take immediate responsibility for loading, discharging and care transmit or handling of cargo on chemical tankers. Bangladesh Maritime Training Institute has prepared a planed training programme as per guideline of IMO and STCW convention to provide skilled officer and engineers on board various types of chemical tankers. Any seafarers with shore based fire-fighting training course approved by the Administration, and who have relevant experience appropriate to their duties on chemical tankers, as per IMO convention is accepted to attend this course.
COVERAGE / PROGRAM FOCUS:
- Knowledge, understanding and proficiency
- Knowledge of oil tanker design, systems and equipment
- Knowledge of pump theory and characteristics, including types of cargo pumps and their safe operation
- Proficiency in tanker safety culture and implementation of safety-management system
- Knowledge and understanding of monitoring and safety systems, including the emergency shutdown
- Knowledge of the effect of bulk liquid cargoes on trim, stability and structural integrity
- Knowledge and understanding of oil cargo related operations
- Development and application of cargo-related operation plans, procedures and checklists
- Ability to calibrate and use monitoring and gas-detection systems, instruments and equipment
- Ability to manage and supervise personnel with cargo-related responsibilities
- Knowledge and understanding of the physical and chemical properties of oil cargoes
- Knowledge and understanding of the hazards and control measures associated with oil tanker cargo operations
- Knowledge and understanding of safe working practices, including risk assessment and personal shipboard safety relevant to oil tankers
- Knowledge and understanding of oil tanker emergency procedures
- Actions to be taken following collision, grounding, or spillage
- Knowledge of medical first aid procedures on board oil tankers
- Understanding of procedures to prevent pollution of the atmosphere and the environment
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant provisions of the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL), as amended, and other relevant IMO instruments, industry guidelines and port regulations as commonly applied
- Case Studies
- Test and Discussion
Combination of classroom lecture-presentation and discussion reinforced with training videos and tanker simulator activities/exercises.
ENTRY REQUIREMENT / TARGET GROUP:
Entry to this course is open to those who have completed “Basic Training for Oil and Chemical Tanker Cargo Operations”; and have completed at least 3 months approved seagoing service on oil tanker (Reg. V/1-1, Para. 4 of STCW 2010)
A certificate of course completion shall be issued to those who shall satisfactorily fulfill the course requirements. Certificate of Proficiency is issued by the Department of Shipping on completion of an oral test.